We moved from the US to Germany one year ago. To mark this accomplishment, we made a list of the top 10 things we miss the most from the US.
Being in Germany, we are in a great location for travel, have fewer required work hours, and a good network of expat friends. We appreciate the opportunity to live abroad, but we look forward to one day going home to the US.
We choose to live in a small village, we are trying to live like the Germans for the experience. The below are not complaints about Germany, they are just things we miss from America. And yes, we do realize half of them are about food / drinks. 😊
Top 10 Things We Miss from the US
10. Trash / Recycling System Large bins and frequent pick-ups. We are all about recycling and helping the environment. However, a 4-family house needs bigger bins and more than every-3-weeks pickup.
9. Sink + Garbage Disposal A two-compartment sink with a garbage disposal is a life changer to have … or to not have.
8. Barbeque All the varieties across the US, and all the fixings.
7. Coffee Pots of Coffee, good coffee and plenty of it.
6. Diners The fun atmosphere, option to sit at the counter, wonderful menus. To eat at a diner is a unique American experience, and we do miss it.
5. Grocery Stores Bright, open, airy grocery stores. Well-designed with room to walk through aisles, the freedom to browse. The variety and volume of products. The grab-and-go for easy dinners, rotisserie chickens.
4. Mexican Food Flavor, spice, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salsa, guacamole, cilantro. All of it.
3. Overall ease and convenience of American Living We cannot go to a super store in Germany and buy everything from gardening equipment to computers to steak to toilet paper in one stop. We are realizing that America truly is The Land of Plenty and The Land of Convenience.
1. Friends and Family We miss meeting our friends and family at the Pub. This is why we had the idea to start our Virtual Pub. Cheers!
This page may contain affiliate links that earn us a commission at no extra cost to you.